Random Encounter

The Official Movie You Just Watched Thread

2,887 posts in this topic

Kingsman: The Secret Service:  B+

This movie really surprised me, I had only seen a couple trailers and it came off looking rather uninspired and lame.  I had no idea it was going to be so violent, but it was a pretty good mix of action and comedy. 

It was a really fun movie, it definitely didn't take itself seriously and had a lot of great action sequences.  Definitely one of the better action movies I've seen this year, I'd recommend it if you are looking for some mindless fun.

B+ for me as well.

Hard for me to hate on a movie that literally ends with

butt sex

also, knowing Mark Millar, I knew it was going to be violent/funny/subversive.

It's entertaining fun.

Liked that Samuel L Jackson stole Mike Tyson's lisp for this movie. So stupid.

I could buy into this 'world' and enjoy it.

I heard the church scene was supposed to be crazy...and, yeah, it was. But it's hard for me to be shocked by violence. Or anything that goes on in Game of Thrones that starts a new uproar.

I would give it a solid B+/A- but I was expecting and hoping for an A++

Maybe I am missing something. I wanted to blown away by it so badly, and just wasn't. It didn't give me the same thrill as The Raid 2 and John Wick recently have. And even if I watched it again or considered it more analytically to find more great things, it's the kind of movie that needs to grab you in the theater the first time to really leave the deepest possible impression. That opportunity is gone now.  

Mad Max - Fury Road (A)

I had the same reaction leaving the movie. It was good, but it wasn't worthy of the hype good. I think my problem was I saw a 99% RT score and assumed I was about to see Citizen Kane. I saw an awesome ass action flick that did everything it wanted to do well, and didn't try to do anything more than it needed. It deserves good ratings because it was virtually flawless in execution and was visually amazing, but that 99% was misleading because it changed my expectations. 

Kingsman - The Secret Service (A-)

Saw the trailer and noped pretty hard. Expected it to be a teenager movie like Hunger Games meets Pierce Brosnan James Bond.... which is exactly what it was but it was awesome. The church scene was ridiculously fun, I was laughing the whole way through that scene. It had some decent surprises when it killed off characters I didn't expect to die. The only disappointment was when Eggsy used his poison boot knife to cut that chick with the metal legs, I was mad he didn't kick her in the vag.

Chappie (C+)

Weird how similar this movie was to Ex Machina premise, just a different take on it. I didn't hate it, I thought it was pretty funny actually and Die Antwoord people were pretty good actors. I thought it was weird they were just random street thugs but were wearing actual Die Antwoord merch... seemed a little meta and fourth wallish but it distracted me. The action was cool, and I liked the movie overall. Would have gone with a B range grade until the very end where they sent human consciousness to robots, that was soo cheesy I laughed AT the movie not with it.

Commedians of Comedy (C-)

About 10 years too late to this one, so a lot of the stuff is a bit dated but at the same time I thought it would be more. At the end Patton gives a toast to everybody from the tour and he says something like "I got no footage, you guys ruined the film" he meant this as a joke but it was true. There was nothing interesting to this documentary.

I thought the percentage rating on RT was the percentage of positive reviews not the quality of the reviews?  Do I have that wrong?

I knew it was getting great reviews, but that was all I knew about the movie.  I didn't watch any trailers, didn't read any reviews, didn't see any of the other ones...maybe I loved Mad Max so much because I didn't have any expectation besides hoping I enjoyed it.  I'm looking forward to picking up the first comic from the series later today to get some of the backstory on IJ and Nux.

I thought the percentage rating on RT was the percentage of positive reviews not the quality of the reviews?  Do I have that wrong?

No, you are right. That's what I meant, maybe I didn't explain it right. 99% thought it was good, I interpreted that as the best movie ever! but really, its just a good movie that everybody liked nothing amazing.

It Follows

decent movie, overhyped a bit. Definitely original and had a creepy vibe the whole time, but it just didn't really hit to hard or scare too greatly. Ending was pretty weak too

Mad Max

sensory overload. solid action movie, but i don't think it lives completely up to the hype it's getting. very original and visually stunning dont get me wrong. just wasn't super compelled/moved by it. solid B+

Mad Max ~~~~~~~~~~~A+

wild. absolutely wild.

I thought the MAD MAX movies (particularly 1 & 3) were some of the worst movies I'd ever seen. Road Warrior was OK for the time, I guess.

This was wild.

I actually digged the 'plot' more than what went on in the first 3 movies. It's not a full-blown plot, but it's more than they had before.

went with a girl who had no idea what was going to happen...she kept on saying throughout the movie, "WHAT THE FUCK!?!" and laughing her ass off about it.

She thought it was weird and didn't like it.

I was laughing too the whole way through, but I was enjoying the hell out of it.

It has to be seen in theatres.

Was hoping to see this and AVENGERS back-to-back, but it sold out for 12:15 AND 3:45 showings (both MAD MAX and AVENGERS had 2 screens each, so that was a bummer)

I still dig something like THE RAID more.

JOHN WICK is fine by me (they're making a sequel to that so fuck yeah!), so I'm OK with Carmello's problems with it.

I thought I heard shit about Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy NOT getting along during filming: he was too intense/distant...and it's a 6+ month shoot in the unforgiving desert.

so it would be interesting if they were down for a sequel.

FilmDrunks A+ review

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/05/why-mad-max-fury-road-might-be-the-best-action-movie-of-the-last-10-years

McWeeny's A+ review

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-mad-max-fury-road-is-a-high-watermark-for-blockbuster-action-films

I loved the trailer (comedian Dave Anthony half-joked, as soon as he saw it, that the trailer is already the best movie of the year), but then it was surpassing people's expectations.

So the hype was there...and I'm content with it.

I do think I would have loved it more had I not seen the trailer/no idea going in what the hype was like from everybody.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Yeah, this is definitely this year's Guardians of the Galaxy for me. I didn't get hyped up about this at all, even with the cool trailers, because I never got into the series as a kid (plus the Mad Max world seems so hopeless). The super good reviews are what wooed me into checking it out Friday, and I'm glad I did. The action is obviously top notch (I'm glad that Australia doesn't have OSHA, or safety regulations, or rules apparently), the characters are all really well developed, and I was definitely on the edge of my seat the entire time. Its up there as one of the best action movies of the decade, but I wouldn't call it the best like a lot of other reviewers have been doing. I think I liked The Raid, Dark Knight, Avengers, Captain America 2, Snowpiercer and Guardians more, simply because the characters and/or settings are more engaging. But I'm still happy that this movie is actually thematically deep and everyone's motivations make sense, especially surprising when it comes to Immortan Joe and Wex (who turns out to be probably the best thing about the movie).

I still think the movie has one major flaw: Max himself is barely in it, and when he is, he's just a force of nature that is limited only by whatever the situation dictates. Sometimes he kicks everrrrrrrrryone's ass, and other times he's easily beaten. Plus they don't show him doing certain kick ass things (like taking out the Bulletville crew), and that was kinda annoying. I don't wanna sound like an MRA looney, but I do feel I was slightly tricked into seeing a movie about Charlize Theron that just happened to have Mad Max in it. Some people afterward were telling me that Max is usually the side character in each of his movies anyway, but I either haven't seen or don't remember the earlier movies so I didn't get that. I just wanted more Tom Hardy, preferably shirtless and covered in oil, mounting and hammering other men from the front and from the behind ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Best compliment I can give this movie? I wanna see it again ASAP. I think its gonna be one of those movies that whenever it appears on cable, I have to watch all the way through. I've been doing that with Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy as of late, and this will definitely join them.

A-

Mad Max: Fury Road

I still think the movie has one major flaw: Max himself is barely in it, and when he is, he's just a force of nature that is limited only by whatever the situation dictates. Sometimes he kicks everrrrrrrrryone's ass, and other times he's easily beaten. Plus they don't show him doing certain kick ass things (like taking out the Bulletville crew).

Totally agree that this did something to the tone of the action that left it wildly inconsistent. A huge part of what makes action great is the life or death stakes that add tension to the atmosphere, and when the tone of action is inconsistent, the stakes are diminished due to our expectation that the characters are capable of whatever they need to be in the moment. There isn't a moment when I believed Max or Furiosa were ever in legitimate danger of being thwarted. And if a movie is going to be this completely invested in the quality of the action, it can't make that kind of mistake without losing a few points on overall quality.

12 Years a Slave~~~~~~~~A-

I've been avoiding seeing this because I know it would be a tough watch/horror film...and it would fuck up my day/Saturday night. Which it did. Great movie that I don't care to see ever again.

I kept on waiting for some 'Django Unchained' shit to happen that I know would never come. 

only film left from 2013 I'm dying to see: 'the Act of Killing'.

I still need to see McQueen's 'Hunger', which I hear is amazing. I saw 'Shame' and digged that fine too.

the Heat ~~~~~~~~~~~~~D

yeah, this movie is a piece of shit with maybe 3-4 laughs (mostly given away in the trailer)

I think Paul Feig is doing a thing to empower women in movies (Bridesmaids; the Heat; Ghostbusters) and it sometimes may work. But I think with 'the Heat', it just had a super low ceiling to it and I think they figured McCarthy being foul-mouthed might carry it. McCarthy is fine, but I don't think it works. And I'm a fan of the buddy 'cop' genre and it's very hard to fuck that up, but I feel like it was.

also: Bill Burr deserved better.

^it's atop my Netflix queue right now. Just so I can finally say I watched every Steve McQueen film, like I've been meaning to.

This is 40~~~~~~~~C

I avoided this one once I heard it was disappointing....and it also involves Apatow's family, which sucks the life out of me and for Funny People.

Everybody I talked to about it REALLY hated it, so I figure I'd end up somewhere inbetween on it.

love Paul Rudd. But I know what Apatow is trying to do and be like James L Brooks. 

some funny scenes: the outtakes with Melissa McCarthy are great; Leslie Mann making fun of the kid for looking like Tom Petty went above and beyond what I hoped for (the kid's teeth were something I wanted to make fun of-and that delivered)

but not enough and too long.

Gone Girl was pretty good (missed the first 30 min or so) but the whole sociopolitical dialogue surrounding the movie is really bothersome.

^ what the hell does that mean? And you missed the first 30 minutes!?!?!??!!?!!?!

This is what i think about your review of the best movie of 2015:

Freaks and Geeks

54caab1c494254fc09968a26_image.jpg

Fuck it, I'll talk TV in here. I marathoned through this show on Netflix finally and I can now say that the hype was definitely justified. This show was fucking brilliant and it was only entering its prime in the last 5 episodes or so, so now I can join the rest of you in being forever mad that it got cancelled so early. Its definitely the most realistic show about high school ever... its almost too dark most of the time, and everyone only gets the smallest of wins. But the good thing is that those small wins build up over time and create some real, believable character growth. I just loved how this show examined things that most Teen movies and show totally gloss over. I love how Sam gets the dream girl, but then realizes she kinda sucks. I love how they make Nick and Lindsey the "will they, won't they" couple and then immediately dive into that and blow it up. And I love how they showed different people drifting between different groups, since teenagers are always changing their identities every year. 

Aside from all the thematic stuff, its just insane how perfect the casting for this show was. This is James Franco's best work ever. I think you can immediately tell that Jason Segal went from being a planned side character to probably the most charismatic dude on the show after a couple of episodes. The show totally wastes Seth Rogen for the first half of its run, but he kills it in the 2nd half. Linda Cardellini seemed like the proto-Leslie Knope, since she always had a good head on her shoulders, but was always busy trying to please everyone (I am still trying to figure out why she never showed up in Apatow stuff again tho. Maybe its just because she was way older than everyone else?). But the real superstar is Bill Haverchuck (and now I finally get Phil's username), and it actually kinda bums me out that Martin Starr never showed as much emotional vulnerability or range in his roles ever since. That weirdo was just the happiest sad-sack ever. His backstory killed me.

My favorite episode is a tie between Bill's Peanut episode or the Punk/Neil's Family one. They're all pretty damn good though

I do have some criticisms though. Kim Kelly sucked and she probably goes down as one of the most unlikable characters ever. She was like Cartman in female form. The episodes where Daniel was away from her (like the Punk one and the finale) were always his best moments. I think a single Daniel would have been great to watch if there was a Season 2. I also mentioned that they totally wasted Seth Rogen in the early episodes, when he definitely showed range at the end (i love how his sarcasm covered up his ability to come off truthful). But the biggest problem is ultimately why the show got cancelled: it really was too dark most of the time, and while its admirable that Paul Feig and Judd Apatow stuck to their guns about keeping the wins small, it got kinda too painful after awhile. I've been reading Feig's recap of the show at the AV Club, and I think alot of this comes down to his love of cringe comedy and his inexperience as a writer then. What bothered most people, didn't really bug him. His influence can definitely be felt on so many movies and shows later down the line, but I can definitely see why people didn't latch on to it week to week. I think Friday Night Lights (which I think is the best high school show ever) found a much better balance between light and dark, but thats because it took alot of elements from Freaks and Geeks in the first place. Gotta respect that.

A-

Spoiler talk:

So I didn't really like the ending that much, even if Feig says he wrote it specifically knowing that it was cancelled. It kinda blew up everything. So Nick is just totally done being friends with everyone? And I liked how he never got over Lindsey, but his consolation prize was fucking super hot busty disco Lizzy Caplan. Meanwhile, Daniel hanging with the Geeks would have been cool, especially if they just totally wrote Kim off the show (which I would have been fine with). 

I don't know where I read it, but someone mentioned that they had some really fucked up storylines in mind for season 2. Stuff like Kim getting pregnant and Lindsey getting addicted to drugs. I'm kinda glad we never saw that happen because that would have been unrealistic. I did like how I was spot on in thinking it would be great to see Sam after his big growth spurt, since I remember him being tall in Waiting. Plus they mentioned Haverchuck actually becoming a good athlete, which would have been possible since Martin Starr was pretty tall too. Would have been double cool to see Nick come back onto the basketball team as well, since Jason Segal is reknown for being a dope basketball player at the super good Harvard-Westlake in LA.

Slow West

(Michael Fassbender, Kid from The Road, The Hound from GoT, Ben Mendelsohn, a random hot New Zealander who's a terrific actress)

Really liked this.  Favorite Western of the past 10 years.  Loved the acting.  Loved the theme of the film.

It's $3 to watch on google and Amazon.  Watch it.

^ what the hell does that mean? And you missed the first 30 minutes!?!?!??!!?!!?!

ya what the heck? sociopolitical dialogue? please expand cause this isn't registering at all...

I know Linda Caedellini and Jason Segel dated, but she broke his heart...and he basically wrote Forgetting Sarah Marshall because of it, I believe...but yeah, the show does capture the awkward Shit. I wish I could have been on that writing cast. holy shit.Aybe in a modern way, I'd be down. What a fucking cast....I know Matt Ufford, a shared favorite of ours, can't watch the show because he hated high school, it's too realistic, and cringe-y for him. Whatever. I love it.

^ I am really really surprised NBC or Netflix hasn't approached Feig and Apatow to remake the show for modern times, because it'd definitely succeed now and Hollywood is always obsessed with remakes. Plus the whole cast is really tight with one another, so I'm sure they could get a cameo or two in there (or just recast the roles and pick up from there).

I'd tell NBC to go fuck themselves...re-do it with different name for HBO or Netfliz...I know the show hoped to survive by getting cameos from people like Ben stiller. NBC wanted Britney Spears for a cameo haha.

What We Do in the Shadows

this was literally laugh out loud hilarious. jemaine clement and some of his buddies making a mockumentary about vampires surviving in the modern world. it sounds stupid but its very "a might wind/best in show" esque and really really funny. anyone else seen this?

Gone Girl was pretty good (missed the first 30 min or so) but the whole sociopolitical dialogue surrounding the movie is really bothersome.

I dig it...I think most people followed the twist and what the movie became (people felt it was too pulp-y/trashy but fuck them)...the one thing they could not take that was polarizing was the ending. And, yeah, I get that. Haha Bill Burr went off on that a bit. So did comedian Dave Anthony.

a lot of people that read the book too that I talked to HATED the ending, but enjoyed the ride. That's kind of how I felt.

What We Do in the Shadows

this was literally laugh out loud hilarious. jemaine clement and some of his buddies making a mockumentary about vampires surviving in the modern world. it sounds stupid but its very "a might wind/best in show" esque and really really funny. anyone else seen this?

Yeah, dude this movie was great. So many perfectly delivered lines by the Viago character. I was really hoping Rhys Darby would make an appearance, and when he finally did it couldn't have been better. 

There's some super quick witted stuff in there that I didn't catch the first time. It's worth watching a second time because it definitely has some of that Christopher Guest style humor that's subtle but genius.