Random Encounter

The Official Movie You Just Watched Thread

2,887 posts in this topic

^ I'll see your Jessica Biel, and raise you Diora Baird in the sequel.

diorabaird.jpg

but ya, both movies sucked. I can't believe i was roped into seeing both in theaters.

fearloathe.jpg

Haha, has anyone here been able to sit through more than one hour of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ever? It seems to have worn out its zany charm long ago. and I already feel like I sat through two hours, only to look at the time elapsed at the bottom of the netflix page and find out that it's only been one.

hah, ^^ yes! I'm glad I'm not alone there.

Where the Buffalo Roam is definitely superior in terms of a fun movie that you don't have to be fucked up for.

Plus, Bill Murray plays Hunter S. Thompson

where-the-buffalo-roam-e28093-1980.jpg?w=300&h=300

^still need to check that out.

It's fun to read the book Saturday Night on the first 10 years of SNL. After Bill Murray made that movie, he came back to SNL (where he was a regular) and he stayed in character as an asshole-ish Hunter S Thompson. Murray was considered, like many others on the set, to be a BIG fucking asshole.

I also didn't like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I know the Rum Diary should be coming out soon where Depp reprises his role.

But the documentary Gonzo is REALLY great.

LIFEBOAT.jpg

(1944)

Was okay, but I wouldn't rewatch it.

I liked that Steinbeck wrote it.

I've read some of his stuff, but they should REALLY turn the Moon is Down into a movie. I don't know if they have, but it would totally relate to the wars going on right now.

Snatch.jpg

(2000)

Haven't seen this in a couple of years.

Still love the movie and probably have seen it about 5 times now.

I didn't really like Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (which most people like more).

I know that that movie came first and people felt like Snatch copied too much off of that movie.

The Road

Loved the book. Loved the movie. The mood was perfect, the environment was uncomfortably bleak and grey, and Viggo turned in a hell of a performance. That guy's on a roll.

Michael K. Williams' small part floored me. That scene was just as harrowing and awful as it was when it played out in the book. I also felt like the flashbacks were necessary for the film adaptation, adding something to the film that wasn't needed in the novel.

I'm really tired and I'd like to coherently say more, but I can't muster the brain power. So yea, I loved the movie. Hillcoat is one to watch. They should've offered him Blood Meridian.

jackass-3d-2.jpg

Jackass in 3D

It was fun. I'm not the biggest Jackass fan, and I never saw the other two movies but I was in the mood to watch stupid shit and it was definitely fun. My friends and I ended up seeing it in 3d for free, which I thought was going to a but choice, but it was funny to see that it utilized the 3d technology so much better than any of the other 3d shit I've seen. There's just something about seeing a midget getting hurled towards you by an explosion or a dildo flying through the air or a fart bubbling hovering in front of your face that makes you smile and say to yourself, "the future is here"

get-low-poster.jpg

Get Low

Awesome movie. It was playing at the small little theater in town. I haven't seen a single piece of advertising for it but it was fantastic. Robert Duvall and Bill Murray were both excellent, playing fantastic characters with the perfect blend of humor and feeling - I definitely recommend this one.

Red 7/10

Fun, not much meat to it. Main story is pretty stupid but the acting keeps it going - I liked Mary Louise Parker in it. Bruce Willis was Bruce Willis. John Malkovich was great and I thought kiwi Karl Urban did pretty well too.

Toy Story 3 8/10

Not as good as I thought it was going to be after all the hype but still a worthy successor to Toy Story 2. The main theme is pretty weak unlike Wall-E etc.

easyah.jpg

Lightweight, but fun. Plus the entire thing was filmed in Ojai, where I've vacationed 5 or 6 times, so i recognized all the locations.

up325.jpg

Second viewing. This is a really weird, jumbled movie. The first 15 minutes or so are absolutely fantastic, easily some of Pixars best stuff, but then it turns into a wacky adventure/action movie, with talking dogs and 95 year old men fighting each other. For me, having the incredibly human, emotional and touching mixed with the absurd doesn't gel in this case.

Sunday was a lazy movie day.

The Forth Kind - What absolute trash. No seriously. Trash.

Sherlock Holmes - Not great, but fun. I love the chemistry between Holmes and Watson. I thought the way they set up the sequels was quite great. I'm excited to see the next installment.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Theif - Campy and silly. It was ok. Wouldn't watch again.

She's Out Of My League - I thought this was going to be stupid, but I actually laughed quite and bit and enjoyed it.

Jackass 3-D~~~~~~~B

You either love it or you don't.

And if you're really going to be snobbish about this, well, you're a tool.

It's a fun movie and I always look forward to whatever of this I can get.

Was it necessary in 3-D?

Probably not...although I imagine flying cocks and shit and slow-motion hits in the face amused them to no end.

Double Indemnity~~~~C

(1944)

Old noir movie that didn't really sit well with me.

I forget most of what happened even days after seeing it.

Trick 'r' Treat~~~~~~D

(Anna Paquin)

Trying to get in Halloween mood with some movies.

Others I'll be watching in the next couple of days or so if possible.

Wasn't into this, although I know some were into it.

I wasn't expecting much though. <_<

dawnofthedead.jpg

Dawn of the Dead - B+

[1978 Romero Theatrical Version]

"Do you want to abort it? It's not too late, and I know how." I also learned the best place to check my blood pressure is in a giant mall infested with slow-moving, blue zombies.

getaway.jpg

The Getaway - B-

Great film. Not the best heist/getaway film I've ever seen, but Steve McQueen doesn't disappoint. I've still got a few more Peckinpah films I want to check out (Wild Bunch, Straw Dogs, etc.).

nightofthehunter019.jpg

The Night of the Hunter - C-

Just didn't live up to my expectations. I was expecting something a little more creepy and dark, but it turned out to be a campy 50's movie. It's such a shame because there a lot of great themes in the film (love/hate, Bible scriptures, etc.). Maybe it would have been a little better if the plot was a little stronger and the music wasn't so cliché. I don't really know how else to describe how disappointed I was with this movie. Most of the acting was atrocious, especially the stupid old lady (Icey?). I generally love older movies, but this one was just lost on me.

I%27mStillHere_Poster_DFilms.jpg

i loved it. joaquin was incredible in it and even though we all knew it was a hoax, the guy deserves some serious credit for holding himself to the role the way he did. definitely worth seeing...

the Omen (the original)~~~~~~~~~~~B+

Enjoyed it.

I get scared easily, so I surprised myself by not being scared too much.

Also, Damien? Kind of a douche.

NEXT UP:

-Rosemary's Baby

-Paranormal Activity 2

-I'm Still Here (hopefully)

Exit Through The Gift Shop

I liked it. I never really understand why people spend so much money on art. Shit is crazy. This was so good.

Red

Entertaining, for sure. The last part got a bit rocky, but overall I was glad I watched it.

Great actors with other great actors having fun is always something worth watching.

Rosemary's Baby~~~~A-

Pretty awesome movie.

Maybe not terrifying, but it's a GREAT suspense story.

Great job by Roman Polanski.

^I guess they reference Rosemary in this song.

noriko's dinner table

norikos-dinner-table-facets.jpg

a little confusing at parts. but i really enjoyed it. really fucked up. it's a sequel (kind of? prequel?) to suicide club. i think the younger sister was a really good actress. it wasn't as eerie as suicide club cause it was less natural feeling. but still very interesting. deeper in the end than suicide club (though it's been a while since i saw that)

Buried-Ryan-Reynolds-3.jpg

I really liked this movie.

4/5.

A little too much grunting by Ryan Reynolds (especially in the beginning).

But it's very tense, and it made me claustrophobic.

And the last act is great.

Definitely recommend.

The Game with Michael Douglas and Deborah Kara Ungar.

I put off watching this for a long time, until I found out it was Fincher, who's my favorite director. It's actually a really good movie, it just drags a little bit in the middle and the ending is so-so. I definitely reccommend it. 4/5