Random Encounter

The Official Movie You Just Watched Thread

2,887 posts in this topic

127-hours.jpg

Saw a screening of this the other day. It gets way intense. Pretty tough to decide whether this or Buried with Reynolds gets the vote for best tight space movie of the year. Both are excellent.

Saw it with Danny Boyle on hand for a Q&A, and he talked about how he tried to get it funded before, and no one wanted it, and that the real guy only wanted a documentary made about him. Then as soon as Slumdog won Best Picture, he was able to get everything he wanted, and still chose to shoot this on a small budget.

Very visceral film. Sound effects and visual elements really make it stand out.

Paranormal Activity 2~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~B+

I pretty much said everything that needed to be said in the thread for this movie.

the Birds~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~B+

Haven't seen this in years, but still really good.

Somewhat corny though...and some scenes I had problems with (the mother, for one)

But it's damn good and I love the ending.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~B-

I liked this more as a movie than the previous one, but it still isn't as good as it should be.

I feel like Fincher will do a much better job.

True Grit ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~B+

Cameos by Robert Duval and Dennis Hopper

The adaptation for this by the Coen brothers is going to be awesome. I can't wait.

John Wayne was awesome in this, but I think the performances by the other actors are going to deliver more in the remake.

I’m Still Here ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~D

Got to agree with Film Drunk on their podcast…

It’s a half-assed Borat wannabe film.

I don’t think either Casey Affleck or Joaquin Phoenix thought through what they were doing much at all.

It would be more fun if they went ALL in on it more.

For instance, if they…

1) Behind the scenes, they showed that Casey & Joaquin were in on the joke, while they do crazy shit and just laugh their asses off.

2) If Joaquin said he was retiring, but only wanted to do really crappy B horror movies…this would have been terrific.

3) There was never any mention of his late brother River…it seems obvious, given with what happened to him, that he would HAVE to be mentioned…but he never did. I think Joaquin wanted to be somewhat personal and totally in on the joke…but without being too personal.

I mean, wanting to do an album with Diddy wasn’t well thought out…nor did the movie have a plot like BORAT did where each scene mattered and it had a point. This really didn’t.

It just drags.

The shot at the beginning and end were so stupid.

I could barely hear most the shit…it needed subtitles.

I just expected a LOT more.

There were probably 2 scenes that had me crying laughing (particularly the rap song that Diddy played that rapped “compli-fuckin-cated”).

Loved Diddy saying to Casey Affleck that Assassination of Jesse Jameswas whack, but Gone Baby Gone was the shit.

Letterman interview? Great.

But not worth it at all. Just one of the more disappointing movies of the year. I got what it was trying to do, but it just sucked. It’s hard not to compare this to some combination of ENTOURAGE or THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but it didn’t capitalize it at all.

It’s just amazing to me that Casey Affleck and Joaquin Phoenix would take 2 WHOLE years off the prime of their careers. Maybe they just didn’t want to act and lay low. But man. Casey was just beginning to hit it big for himself.

It was so obvious that this was a hoax, but it’s unbelievable that anybody (Roger Ebert; Owen Gleiberman) bought into the fact that it wasn’t.

keyartbacktothefuture.jpg

My friend and I nerded out yesterday and watched the entire Back to the Future Trilogy in a row. It cemented, in my mind, how great and consistent the movies are, and how this is probably the best trilogy that has ever been done (I can't think of anything better; some would argue LOTR but I'm not a fan of the series).

The writing is just so, so good. There is just so much inter-references and time-references that it is ridiculous how they were able to keep an eye on all the strings. Having never watched the movies in such a short amount of time, I never noticed that Needles is the cause of being fired and the accident, I never noticed how Marty always enters some drinking place (the malt bar, the 80s bar, and the Western bar) and is confronted by his nemesis, I never paid attention to how Marty always wakes up from being unconscious to some crazy-time version of his mother (or relative), never noticed Twin Pines Mall being changed to Lone Pines Mall after Marty runs over the pine tree, never noticed how Biff always has three goons, one who always wears 3D glasses - but in all, it is the way that the same actors are in the three movies, the way they interact with each other, the dialogue and the catch-phrases. It's funny, because I can't even remember good examples of the subtle things they could have left out but included and I watched the movie yesterday. In contrast, there was a 5-year gap between the first movie and the second and third. The movies are just so much goddamn fun, and there is nothing like it anymore.

Now, the weakest is definitely the third, and it has to do with the not-so-great dialogue for the love story (and the actors weren't that great at selling it), but otherwise it still has pretty clever references, and Fox and Lloyd both do a really good job of playing their characters. It is still a great movie, especially when watched in line with the other two.

Oh and this blew my mind... I always knew that the actor who played Marty's girlfriend changed between the first and the third. I liked the original girlfriend better but whatever. What I never noticed was that the actor who plays Marty's dad changes. In fact, I didn't even notice it yesterday... it was only through reading imdb afterward.

So yeah, go watch them all in order. It is worth it.

Oh and also:

AND FINALLY, there will be a Back to the Future digital download game coming out soon. It is written by Bob Gale, the writer of the first three. Christopher Lloyd will reprise his role as Doc Brown. As for Marty...

Scott pilgrim

I think I expected too much from this one. A lot of parts I really loved, but certain things just left me feeling tired and underwhelmed. When it's on it's on, but at times it can be pretty off. Cera is great but there were times when his "same old same old" acting style really got on my nerves. If he doesn't stop playing the same role in every film he's going to be down there with Kristen Stewart in my book of one trick pony actors. Fortunately the good parts of this movie are really really good. I just wish it didn't drag in parts for me. Oh well. B+

Charlie St. Cloud

I didn't expect anything at all from this, but I was somewhat surprised. But the real issue with this movie is that it constantly skirts the line between hardcore drama and after school special. The dialogue is for the most part really smart, clever, and mature. But the rest of the film has this ABC family made for TV movie vibe at times. It's sad to see a movie with such solid acting and great dialogue fall into traps like ridiculously cliche plot twists and confused morals. It's also worth saying that this movie has no true audience. It's much too edgy to be a family film but not quite serious enough to be an award winner. Not really worth a watch unless you like this sort of thing. B

Just got back home from attending the premiere of this...

184303171.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1288330688&Signature=OIKUbeDV35FoLVZ7R%2F7EOGyYlZA%3D

Really enjoyed it. VERY predictable story, but thats not the reason I went to see the movie of course. Downey Jr. and Galiafinakis fucking kill it. Some really funny shit in here. And both were really sneaky about coming into the theater when the lights were down, and then running out once the movie was just about over.

Good times.

keyartbacktothefuture.jpg

I literally watched the first two the same night as you, was gonna watch the third one too but I fell asleep. (it was like 4 in the morning when I finished the second one)

watch a couple movies over the week..

the_social_network_movie_poster.jpg

actually just finished this one. My second viewing and i loved it just as much as the first time. The dialogue, the acting, the directing, the cinematography, the soundtrack..all amazing. Im still really hoping Eisenberg gets serious attention around Oscar time, this is without a doubt his best performance and i hope it shuts a lot of people up when they say he is basically a Michael Cera twin. I HATE that comparison...A+, 4/4 Stars, just amazing work.

Flickan_som_lekte_med_elden-poster-1.jpg

i actually enjoyed this one. I loved the first one and this one doesn't really live up to it, but its still a fun movie with some great performances. Also, everytime the gigantic blond "villain" was on screen i couldnt help but think of this guy...hot-fuzz-yarp.png...overall i give the movie a sold B

Batman-Under-the-Red-Hood-Movie-Poster.jpg

Really good animated feature. The only gripe that i did have with it was that the guy who was the voice of The Joker was basically doing his best "Mark Hamil as The Joker" voice. Interesting to see a cool storyline with villains like Black Mask and Red Hood. Plus NPH as the voice of Nightwing/Dick Greyson was pretty cool too.

Batman-Under-the-Red-Hood-Movie-Poster.jpg

Really good animated feature. The only gripe that i did have with it was that the guy who was the voice of The Joker was basically doing his best "Mark Hamil as The Joker" voice. Interesting to see a cool storyline with villains like Black Mask and Red Hood. Plus NPH as the voice of Nightwing/Dick Greyson was pretty cool too.

That was my one gripe with the movie, but John Di Maggio kinda grew on me by the end of the movie.

Winter's Bone~~~~~~B

Jennifer Lawrence is amazing.

John Hawkes is one of my favorite 'it' guys.

It's basically this year's Frozen River.

I liked this movie a bit more than that, although it's not an enjoyable watch..but both movies had strong leads.

Well-written review by Ebert...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100616/REVIEWS/100619992/1023

It does feel a bit like a Cormac McCarthy story.

Hot Fuzz~~~~~B+

Love the climax.

Shaun of the Dead is still the better movie and more rewatchable.

Moment I laugh the hardest:

Just the way he says it and the moment kills me...same with Nick Frost saying "what's up, my niggas" or whatever in Shaun of the Dead. Just really unexpected at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXO-H8RdAM

the Last Boy Scout~~~~A+++

Great movie or greatest movie?

Had my brother watch this with me and we were dying.

It's over-the-top and dark at times...but then it becomes hilarious.

Bruce Willis is so awesome.

I love one of the villains that talks with a lisp.

Shane Black wrote this.

He did Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

I am a sucker for the buddy action comedy genre (and coming-of-age stories) more than anything, and Black is THE dude for that shit.

Love him...but this is, by far, his most off the wall and most wonderfully fucked up that it's amazing it got made.

Bruce Willis' daughter in this movie is now hot...she went topless while she got stabbed in Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween.

Kim Coates from Sons of Anarchy...

So many great moments.

I think a scene from this movie inspired the Laser Cats sketch for SNL.

Hot Fuzz~~~~~B+

Love the climax.

Shaun of the Dead is still the better movie and more rewatchable.

No way. Is that the view held by the majority? I think that Hot Fuzz is the much better movie - the comedy is better, action is better, story is slightly more interesting etc.

No way. Is that the view held by the majority? I think that Hot Fuzz is the much better movie - the comedy is better, action is better, story is slightly more interesting etc.

Yeah, I think the majority would say that Shaun of the Dead is the superior movie.... because it is.

The first hour or so of Hot Fuzz is so boring. The last 30 minutes or so kill though. The last 30 minutes of the movie are funnier than Shaun but not enough to make up for the first hour.

Yeah, fair enough point. I think that Hot Fuzz is kind of more an action movie with comedy and Shaun of the Dead is the other way around.

Either way both are still awesome movies, but eh. I think that last 30 mins beats anything in SOTD so it doesn't really matter if takes a bit too long to get to that pay off.

I'd agree with what Ignition said.

Everything leads up to the climax which is awesome and hilarious.

The buddy comedy in Shaun of the Dead is better between Pegg and Frost.

They feel much more like buddies in that movie too from beginning to end.

Red

The Bruce Willis old people CIA agents movie.

I'd say wait until you've forgotten most of what's on the preview and then see it, because the trailer pretty much ruined the movie for me by showing all of the best parts.

It was decent, John Malcovich stole the show, but the rest was pretty forgettable. Good if you want to watch a movie just to watch a movie, but I'd say there should be no sense of urgency on anyone's part to go see it.

B-

Dirty Work

B+

G-7!

For All Mankind

B+

This is on Netflix instant streaming.

The film is basically 80 minutes of NASA footage from the Apollo missions, with audio interviews of the crew members put over top.

Brian Eno wrote original music for it as well.

So... if you like watching footage of the moon landings I would recommend it, haha.

Did a movie night yesterday. Standard Halloween fare.

Started with The Signal. It was pretty great and strange and yeah. I loved the scene with the guy who showed up for the new year's eve party.

signal.jpg

Then went to Zombieland. Not everyone had seen it, and it made a bit of sense after The Signal.

Zombieland-Blu-ray-2.jpg

Then to wrap up the Halloween viewing we went with the most generic Halloween movie of all time, The Secret Garden.

secret_garden.jpg

Yup.

watched Scott Pilgrim.

really enjoyed it. While Michael Cera wouldn't be my first choice, he still did a good job though. very fun

then...

Howl

this movie had potential but it was just boring. some great acting but it just doesnt really go anywhere. read a review that I agree with... said something like "for being about such an imaginative person and poem, it had very little sense for imagination"

I just watched Howl too. The movie had intervals of the poem voiced over these animated/artsy scenes... It was a cool idea and Franco's reading of it is awesome but they chose the lamest/cheap CGI to go along to the words of Howl and it just seemed like the stupidest style of art to choose for the material.

Acting is good and the actual story is really interesting, just done slowly... not nearly as good as Milk.